Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A rough start...

Today, we presented our pitch to our professor, Brenda Brathwaite, and the rest of the Applied Game Design class. It seemed to be well-received by both the professor and the students, and we felt fairly confident by the end of the presentations that our project would be among the ones to be greenlit. We heard a lot of interesting ideas during the presentations, and personally, I am extremely impressed by the level of talent in the AGD group.

This evening, Brenda sent out e-mails to let us know which projects were greenlit, and I was thrilled to see that 2012 made the cut. The official team assignments were due later that night, so I went back to listening to Bob Pendarvis lecture about the predecessors to comic books. It wasn't til I'd gotten home, had some ice cream, and watched Futurama and Family Guy that I checked my e-mail again and discovered the team assignments.

You see, Project 2012 was presented by a block of four students (including me) who had been planning and brainstorming about the game all summer. As you might imagine, all four students were meant to be on the team. We were just going to need one additional member. So, naturally, I was very curious to find out who our fifth member would be and I was very excited to read the team assignment e-mail. Turns out, one of our members was moved (for some reason that has yet to be determined) onto another project and we were given two different people.

Unfortunately, the loss of this team member is likely to prevent us from being able to use the Agile method, which is very disappointing. There's still a chance that the move was a mix-up, so I'm waiting to hear back from Brenda to see what it's all about, but right now, I have to work from the assumption that that member will no longer be working on 2012.

It's important to stay optimistic though. I think 2012 is a solid idea and can stand on its own as long as hard-working, dedicated people are on the team.

1 comment:

ohnomelon said...

"Unfortunately, the loss of this team member is likely to prevent us from being able to use the Agile method, which is very disappointing. There's still a chance that my mom got scared

She said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in bel Air'

I whistled for a cab and when it came near
The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror
If anything I can say this cab is rare
But I thought 'Now forget it' - 'Yo homes to Bel Air'

I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8
And I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo homes smell ya later'
I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there
To sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air."


-Tim